Saturday, February 6, 2010

Rainy Days

What to do on a rainy day at the nursery?
Well blog...and plant.
It is incredibly gratifying to pot up custom color plantings vibrant with warm hues during these colder months and to see them find homes within a matter of hours. I love working with the shades of valentines day; there is something comforting about deep reds, vibrant pink, and rich purples that brings a smile to my face as I sit here watching the dance of clouds and blue sky. Through the diligence of the Bedding department we have a fully stocked selection of custom plantings with a Valentines Day theme ready to grace peoples lives with their lustrous display.
We also have an entire table of iceland poppies starting to bloom that are 25% off. You can see their fuzzy stalks capped with an encapsulated bud whose color is just peeking through. I am anticipating a grand show when they all burst into their full glory heralding that touch of the dreamy that poppies are so apt at conjuring.
Have you ever eaten fresh fruit right off the tree after you have picked it?
Well I had never had that opportunity until the other day and it was a delight. We have an orange tree near the herb garden that is laden with rippening citrus. On a whim, and mostly because I have never taken the chance, I decided to pick the heaviest orange I could find for a snack. Upon tasting I could already tell the flavor was much more complex than any citrus I have ever tried. The balance of acid and sugar was sharp and the almost effervescent scent of the rind filled my senses. I felt so connected to the tree and in turn to the soil, water and sunlight that nurtured its growth from flower to fruit. A sense of gratitude remained with me for hours after and the day seemed glow with a subtle sheen. So if you have never taken part in the act of gathering and eating please take that opportunity, it might change your world if only for a little while.

Jo @ aldenlane

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of alden lane. I wanted to point you at my "downtownfarm" project that I started last june in downtown Livermore and which i am hoping to expand over the coming years. Your seedlings and fruit trees are growing nicely in my first "urban farm" on Chestnut Street.

    http://downtownfarm.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete